Sunday, January 16, 2011

When my Ugly comes out...

Ch. 10 - When my ugly comes out

Welcome back to our study of "Becoming More," we start the section titled "In My Struggles." And yet again it's an area I can relate to and if I were to guess I'm thinking you could do the same. This week chapter focuses on the struggles that happen in the reality of life - the moments things don't go as planned, someone gets on your nerves and the meal gets burnt. Moments when our ugly comes out, we say things we shouldn't and do things we regret. In the end moments we are not proud of.


After describing some of these moments Lysa shares what to do with them, "I wanted help. Real help. Jesus help. I picked up my Bible and got honest with God. Help me in this moment. Please, Lord, intervene in my natural-flesh response right now. Block me from acting how I feel like acting and show me how to diffuse my frustration and anger."

Lysa goes on to share a wonderful passage, "." Psalm 103:1-5Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits - who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's

She continues with her response to this Psalm, "this passage outlined everything I needed to do in my ugly moment: praise the Lord and remember how He forgives me, heals me, redeems me loves me, has compassion on me, satisfies my desires in good ways, and renews my strength."

Has God ever spoken to you in the heat of the moment? How has He changed your heart when the uglies were coming out? Do you find it difficult to praise Him in your struggles? Why or why not?


Cross my heart and Close my mouth

pinkypromise.jpg
In chapter 9, Lysa begins the chapter by sharing a story from her younger days - one including pinky promises and the phrase, “Cross my heart.” Can you remember the days???

She goes on to say, “The woman who is more than a good Bible study girl is so secure in her relationship with Jesus that the graceful way she interacts with others makes following Him look appealing. People can trust her Jesus because she has proven herself to be trustworthy. Her witness for Christ is powerful and effective because her words are saturated with His authentic love. Now that is a woman other women want to be around.”

Take a minute and think - is there a woman like this in your life? What difference does she make? Are you a woman like this? Let’s commit to being women who share His love with words and actions!!

Lysa continues, “For others to meet the reality of Jesus in our lives, we must be women of carefully chosen words. There is just no way around this and no justification for not doing it. What comes out of our mouths is a telltale sign of who we are, who we serve, and what we truly believe. It requires that we refuse to gossip, choose not to judge, and become secure in our unique calling.”

Will you join me and really make the effort to consider what comes out of your mouth? Listen to yourself…do you talk too much or not enough? Do you guard your tongue or allow it to get you in trouble? Are you lifting the name of Jesus or tainting your witness with words?

As you do this remember three questions Lysa shared, “Are my words kind? Are they true? Are they necessary?” If you can answer “yes” speak from the heart and share His love with others!

"He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity." Proverbs 21:23

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen,
    I've been thinking about all of you and praying for you this week! Hope things are coming together and asking God to carry you through the next few intense days!! Any other specifics, I can lift for you and the conference? Just let me know.

    I'm glad you were able to use these blog posts once again...actually good for me to read a second time myself!! I watched Lysa's webcast tonight...so, so good! I'd love to be able to see her again this weekend, but God has something else in store! Blessings to you, Jill

    ReplyDelete