Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chapters 2 & 3

Chapter 2 - Flitting To and Fro


Welcome back to our discussion of "Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl" by Lysa TerKeurst. If you are just joining us, we're glad you are here.

Lysa shares stories from her journey of discovering what she had to offer God and how in the process of wanting to serve Him she also was looking for fulfillment. She said, "I had said yes to Jesus being my Savior, but didn't have a clue how He could be the answer to my emptiness." Ever been there??

She goes on to explain how we each have a heart shaped cup, which at times we try to fill in the wrong way. "No person, possession, profession or position ever fill the cup of a wounded, empty heart. It's an emptiness only God can fill."

Take some time today and think about some questions Lysa asked, "Do you have an empty, heart-shaped cup? If so, what (or who) have you asked to fill it in the past? What might you be asking to fill it right now? I've matured in this area and yet can still find myself slipping back at times. Why is it so tempting to look to things of this world for fulfillment?"  Will you share a truth that keeps you grounded even when it's tempting to flit to and fro??

When I feel like I don't measure up (Ch. 3)
The one thing I have come to love about Lysa is how she can make things real in my everyday life.  As she shares about her attempt to earn the "superMom" award, which only led to failure in the end she brings up many good points and asks some powerful questions, she wrote,

"Satan delights in our feelings of inadequacy. He wants to help us stay there. He wants us to go to Bible study, learn the deep truths of God, leave all encouraged, and then come home and have a complete meltdown over ninety-seven brownies that didn't make the bake sale cut. He wants us to entertain a very dangerous thought: "Why doesn't Jesus work for me?"

She continues, "You see, if Satan can get us asking these kinds of questions, then we can easily justify distancing ourselves from God, once more reducing our relationship with Him to items on a checklist...But "Why doesn't Jesus work for me?" is never the right question. Instead, when circumstances shift and we feel like we fall short, we should ask, "How can I see Jesus even in this?"

The only way I can ask myself this question is when I pull back from whatever situation I'm facing and separate my circumstances from my identity."  Have you been there? Have you allowed your failures to define who you are? Have wrong thoughts and questions pushed you further away from God? I have. And if your honest my guess is you have to.

The wonderful thing is you don't have to stay there - that's the idea behind becoming more, God is constantly calling us, equipping us and maturing us. He doesn't intend for us to stay where we are at! As we journey towards more, we may fail again, but our situations will never change who we are - His daughter, one He loves!

So my friend, "we can take courage in John 15:9-11, where Jesus says, 'As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in His love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete."

No comments:

Post a Comment