Monday, January 17, 2011

Getting my groove and hurt feelings!

Ch. 11 - How Jesus Helps Me Get My Groove Back


Have you ever found yourself complaining and grumbling about your situation only to realize in the grand scheme of things it really wasn't that bad? Yeah, me too! Lysa discusses this very thing in chapter 11. 

As we read about Jesus helping us get our groove back, she talks about "God making a way for us to live our lives based on truth rather than on feelings." She goes on to say, "Instead of letting my thoughts get swept up in the troubles and inconveniences of the here and now, I can choose to focus on temporary those troubles and inconveniences are in light of eternity. In addition to reminding us of our position, praise and thanksgiving remind us of our promise. God is faithful, and I want to live like I really believe it."

Think about that final statement - it can be easy to say and maybe even believe that God is faithful, but can you honestly say you always live like you believe it? I want to live that way, but honestly there are times I don't. So what do we do to become more and live that way more consistently?

We do like Lysa explains, "A person whose life is characterized by constant praise and thanksgiving despite their circumstances will shift from just verbalizing their praise and thanksgiving to living it out loud through their courageous stance for Christ."

I pray someday I will join Peter and John and constantly echo their words from Acts 4:20, "We cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard." I hope you will join me in praying that prayer for yourself. Not to simply live this way when life is good and things go your way, but always, daily in the moments that test your patience, the situations that ruffle your feathers and the circumstances that leave you hurt. And remember it's not just our words that speak, our actions do as well.

Ladies, what have you seen GOD do? What have you heard HIM say? How can you share that today? Praise HIM. Thank HIM.

Ch. 12 - When God Hurts My Feelings


Once again Lysa blesses us with a wonderful chapter in "Becoming More." This chapter wraps up the section about our struggles and look at the times when God hurts our feelings. One step we must take in these moments is to be honest with God; remember ladies He is always honest with us and really He knows anyway. Like Lysa says, "The bolder I am with pouring out my heart to God, the bolder He is with His responses to me." He will help us make sense of what is going on and if it's a situation we don't understand, going to Him will remind us who is in control.

Sometimes our feelings are hurt in everyday life happenings, but others is through major events - one like Lysa described as she shared about the loss of her baby sister. She shares the questions she asked, "Why did this happen? Why didn't You stop this, God? Why were my prayers not answered? Why?"

"Asking why is perfectly normal. Asking why isn't unspiritual. However if asking this question pushes us farther from God rather than drawing us closer to Him, it is the wrong question. So if asking the why question doesn't offer hope, what will? The what question. In other words: Now that this has happened, what am I suppose to do with it? Good can come from any loss if we make the choise not to resist the birthing process required to bring this good to life."

I'll be honest I've asked the why question myself plenty of times. But like Lysa said that's OK, if it draws us to God. As I draw closer to Him and find that same question on my mind, I feel Him reminding me of Who He is. The One who holds the world in the palm of His hand, the One who knows the beginning and the end, the One who is so big and so worthy.

Friend if the question "Why?" is on your heart today, share with Him, ask Him, seek Him and trust He will supply the answer you need. Which just might be no answer at all. And then dare to ask the next important question, "What now?" Regardless of what has happened and the reason behind it, He has something for you to do and become because of it.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment