Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pick me... pick me....

Ch. 13 - What do I do when I don't feel God?


Lysa begins this chapter talking about the idea of being chosen; remember this playing out on the kickball field back on the playground?? Lysa vividly remembered that scene and more which led her to say this, "When I first heard the word 'chosen' in relation to God's feelings toward me, I couldn't process it. In human terms, it seemed quit presumptuous to think God would pause to pay attention to me."

I have to say I can relate to how she felt. We can easily look back at times in our lives when we were not chosen and those memories can make it difficult to understand how the creator of the world would choose us. But again and again the Bible tells we are chosen - "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." Colossians 3:12 And in John 15:19, Jesus says, "If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world."

My friend, He is talking to you and me. The King of Kings has chosen you, you are HIS!! It is true, but like Lysa says sometimes in the reality of life we don't feel God. Ever been there? Questions without answers, pain that leaves you broken, loss you don't understand, financial strife...the list could go on - life is hard, but the thing is no matter how much things around us change (jobs, relationships, finances), God never does!! But our feelings do...

And for whatever reason, when we don't feel close to God, we must remember He is not the one who moved! No that would be me or you. And it's then we must get back to the idea of choices; except this time the ball is in our court - we must choose to recognize God is close! We must choose to draw near to HIM. We must choose to believe HIM. We must choose to trust HIM. We must choose to remain in HIM.

So what do you do when you don't feel God? What does choosing HIM look like for you??

Ch. 14 - "Learning to Simply Like Me"

In the midst of her section of becoming more in our thoughts we focus in on our feelings about ourself. She opens with the question, "Do you like yourself?" Take a minute and think about that...

Lysa admits that question takes her on a walk down memory lane and I have to admit the same is true. As I look back at the days gone by, I see myself answering, "no" to that question quite often. Often times I lived my life constantly playing the comparison game and since someone always looked better, was smarter, more successful, more popular, you get the idea, I never measured up. I wanted to be someone else, so no, I didn't like myself.

Then in my early 20's I surrendered my life to Christ and I've been on a journey ever since. One that has me learning more about Him and has provided me with the opportunity to really know HIM. As I walk this road, I'm also constantly learning more about myself, beginning to know who I am and realizing whose I am. Slowly my answer to Lysa's question is beginning to change.

I believe that's part of the journey of becoming more. We must move beyond our past, our insecurities and our wrong feelings about ourself. I love how she sums up the chapter -

"The more we see our life's purpose unfold...

...the more we'll be secure in the person God has created us to be.

The more we become secure in the person God created us to be...

...the more we'll be able to make peace with liking who we are.

The more we make peace with liking who we are...

...the more we'll be able to untangle self-distracting thoughts.

The less entangled we are...

...the more effective we'll be for Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment