Monday, November 29, 2010

Pour your love on me...

Ok - I feel like I'm full of excuses, but... if any of you are mom's you will get what the end of a 4 day holiday weekend is like. Top it of with the twins waking in the middle of the night with the flu, and you'll get why I'm combining Sunday and Monday.


2 Cor. 9 - Gal. 5 - was Sunday

In Galatians 5:6 we read
"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love."

As a preface, remember that Paul is talking about circumcision, which was an outward sign of status and place. More so, he's talking about what I call religiosity. How by following the "religious law" we think we are earning our way into heaven, when in reality, many times it produces pride that separates us from God instead of drawing us closer to him.

So, this verse really says alot about how to draw closer to God... It's not by strict compliance to the law... It's by loving. Love your neighbor as yourself. When we love, we will naturally follow the law. God's spirit will guide us, and our decisions will reflect His love.

Gal 6 - Eph 6 - is today - Monday (and WHAT a Monday:-)) I actually didn't get 10 in, as I wanted to end at Ephesians and hold off on Philippians until tomorrow!

Eph 3:16-19
16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Continuing on with the "love" thoughts. If the spirit dwells in our inner being.... we can be rooted and established in love. But I still don't think that we get it. I think of the temple and the angels crying "Holy, Holy, Holy..." I think maybe, just maybe, they are truly beginning to grasp the love of Christ, and be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. I don't think that we as humans can even begin to imagine it. So when we think we're loving enough, when our pride gets in the way, when we think "well, I'm not going to get walked all over here," whenever we aren't focused on loving and showing love, it's because we can't yet grasp the fullness of God. We can't truly comprehend His "love." Although he may reveal himself to us more and more each day, until he comes again, I don't think we will truly understand.

"Father God... Thank you for your love for us. A love that we can't even phathom. God, I want to learn more about yoru love, so that I, in turn, can do a better job of loving others. Reveal yourself to me and give me wisdom and understanding. And then, help me to not be lazy, but to pour that love onto others. Help me to see clearly situations where you would pour your love out, and then give me the courage to just let it ooze out of me."

1 comment:

  1. Jen,
    There are no excuses needed. I completely understand your lack of time to post everyday, especially when taking care of a family and other obligations. I enjoy reading your thoughts on the scriptures and I have enjoyed the challenge of reading the entire New Testament along with you.
    2 Corinthians 9:6-15 spoke to me this time. At this time of year it is brought to our attention loudly and boldy as to the need of those around us. But what happens during the rest of the year? Aren't those who are in need still needing our help? This message from Paul to us, to sow generously should be something that we carry in our hearts all year through. Because when we give generously from our hearts, the love of Christ is shared with others and that is the best gift we can give back to God.
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete