Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Given Much...


So, I'm posting early today because I got sleepy last night!


Yesterday was Luke 9 - 19.

There were so many good stories in this section, that it is hard to chose just one to write about. I flipped through again, and here is where I'm pondering today...

Luke 12:47-48

47 “The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48 But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

To put it in context.. Jesus is telling the parable about putting the manager in charge of the servants for their food allowance, and that it is wise to find him doing so when he returns. (and that he is coming when we don't expect him)

You see, I had heard this verse often over the years. To him who has been given much... However, it was always in the context of earthly things. You know, Food, housing, money, etc. All material things. And we were to share that... ok - got it.

Now as I read it, I think HOLD ON.... In it's full context, I read it to mean so much more! (Those of you who are bible wise can roll your eyes at me, it's ok... I'm thinking I might be a little slow in getting this one!)

The servant who knows his masters will - That's us, knowing God's will. How do we do that? Get into his word. If we don't know his will - the punishment will be less. This makes me think of His grace. And the day of righteousness. I think abut my kids. If they do something wrong, knowing that it is against the rules, I tend to be more severe with their punishment. However, if they do something wrong, and really didn't know that it was wrong (mind you, Emma claims this alot at the age of 4!) leniency is in order. A word I've used is "willfully disobedient" I also think that because He knows the condition of our heart, grace is applied.

So, if you have been given much, much will be demanded. Yes, earthly blessings probably fall into here. However, I'm thinking about the spiritual gifts that he gives us, along with his word. If he gives you the gift of wisdom, and you don't use it to help others understand, what have you done with the gift he has given you. Perhaps you have the gift of teaching, but you say... Lord I'm too busy, let someone else do it... Or maybe your an intercessor, and yet find yourself saying, Lord I'm too busy to pray. If you're a believer, he has given you gifts. Discover them, walk into them, and use them! To whom much is given, much will be demanded. WHAT A PRIVELAGE. To use your gifts from God for His glory.

So... as I ponder this from a "knowing his will" perspective... We have all (likely) been given a bible. We have the ability to "know his will." With out the Holy Spirit, it may be scary to hear, the more you know of your bible, the more is expected of you! However, because of the Holy Spirit, the mroe we know, the more hungry we will be for it. And the expectations will be considered pure joy!

I firmly believe that I'm in a season of life that God is showing me more of "His will" so that I am able to be asked. I also know that their is SO MUCH more knowledge that I haven't tapped into. We can never know him completely! Wow...

No comments:

Post a Comment